In late 2008, in an effort to get myself playing more games, I decided to play all 52 scenarios from Scenarios For All Ages by
Charles S Grant and Stuart Asquith. More than that, I decided to play them in order, 1 a week, starting on Nov 5. I knew I wouldn't
manage to play every week so I set a deadline of Dec 31st 2009. With a little help from my friends, I made it with a day to spare.

In the end, I played 52 games in 60 weeks. 34 solo games, 15 face to face games, 3 Play-by-Email mini-campaigns
17 other gamers from 4 countries participated, (Canada 11, US 4, Ireland 1, Argentina 1)

11 'periods' were played - 20/25mm Ancients (3), Prince Valiant 40mm skirmish (9), 40mm 16thC (10),
40mm semi-flat War of Polish Sucession (1), 40mm AWI (2), 40mm Pirate
Skirmish (5), 40mm early 19thC fictional (17), 15mm ACW (1), 25mm Zulu War (1),
20mm WWII (1), 20mm 1960's fictional (2)

I posted a brief report on each game on my webpage. I am shutting down my website so I am re-posting
the reports here, starting at Game #52 so that they will eventually appear in order. The reports were written in a variety of voices and tenses (sometimes all mixed together!) and it was tempting to rewrite them but I have left them as they were originally written with only very minor corrections, particularly to things like links.

To avoid copyright issues and save myself work, I have not given the details of the scenarios. Having a copy of the book will help make sense of the reports. The book may currently be purchased from John Curry at as well as from booksellers like On Military Matters and Caliver.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

17 Sep 2009 Scenario 33: Harbour Raid

This game was played solo using 40mm War of 1812 armies and Hearts of Tin. 
The day started well for the British, their boats entered Newport unseen and landed the 41st foot and a party of sailors with a light gun at the foot of the American shore battery, the Canadian fencibles and 2 companies of light infantry on the harbour's edge and 2 companies just beyond the pier. The local militia and volunteers put up a surprising fight though and while the light infantry and fencibles eventually cleared the eastern shore, they suffered heavy casualties and could go no farther. 
The 41st split up, 2 companies under their Colonel rushed the rear of the battery while the rest of the force engaged  the US 4th Infantry which had barricaded themselves in town. Under a heavy fire, the British were unable to break down the gate to the battery and when the Colonel fell the remnant rushed back to the boats, rallied briefly then retired again under a hot fire. At about the same time, on the Eastern shore, the wounded General Turner was carried back  to the longboats and ordered the retreat of the remaining forces.   

No comments:

Post a Comment